Thursday, February 5, 2009

Fitness Friday: Superwoman syndrome


I have to say I'm at a bit of a loss with this week's assignment: Try something new. Honestly, I think I need to try something less. Does that count as "new"?

Keep in mind that I have had two weeks where it has been difficult to get anything done, and I'm still struggling with being sick...so I'm not my usual optimistic self. My husband is also out of town for research and I'm feeling the crunch of three big deadlines coming up in the not-to-distant future: I have to finish the first two parts of my research by the end of April, I'm almost single-handedly organizing the Biotechnology Spring Symposium and the book I've been editing for a friend has to go through a critique group and be delivered to the publishing house by March 1.

In my brilliant over-eagerness I also started an online critique group, signed up to review an advanced copy of a new book and committed to baking two pies for the upcoming missions dinner at church. Did I mention I have a house to run and a daughter who I want to play with? Forget trying to take care of myself or *gasp* taking time to rest.

I think I'm suffering from "super woman" syndrome.

So, while I haven't had the chance to try it this week (since I've mostly been stuck at home in bed, or at work when I should have been in bed), I think the something new I'm going to try again is saying "no".

Have a great Friday, and a joy-filled weekend.

6 comments:

  1. Saying 'NO' is a good place to start. Feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds likea good plan. Hope you feel better soon and find time to play with your little girl. They grow up way too fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This reminds me of a card you sent me with a woman on the front wearing work-out clothes and holding a water bottle. Something about going to yoga class before organizing a 12 course dinner or something and the inside says, "Right and after that I'm flying to Mars because I am their Queen!"

    Okay I probably totally butchered that one! Sorry card writer! LOL!

    But you are making me tired just reading about the things you are doing! I think saying "no" will be a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a REALLY good thing to try! And healthy too! I have had to really do that this last year or so. I feel guilty for some things that I've said no to, but husband backs me 100%. It feels good too!

    Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it! That is an awesome take! I need to try a new thing like saying NO also! I have been goign through this same thing and feel like I am really getting things into perspective. We all need to take stock! Almost daily!

    Good post and feel better!

    ReplyDelete