Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Vacations


"Instead of wondering when your next vacation is, you ought to set up a life you don't need to escape from." -- Seth Godin


We are huge fans of Dave Ramsey around here. Our 2 year-old daughter recognizes his voice on the radio. Then shouts with glee, "Dave Ramsey Show!"

I also "follow" the Dave Ramsey Show on facebook, and the producer Blake usually puts up a couple quotes to ponder for the day. 90% of the time, I (and about 90% of the other fans) love the quote.

Then a couple of days ago he shared the Seth Godin quote listed above. My immediate reaction was...haha, come and potty train my toddler and feed my baby in the middle of the night and then get back to me about vacations, Seth! I love my life. I also love vacations. Furthermore, I think vacations are very important in allowing me to realize I love my life.

I was thinking about this point last Friday, after Jon took the afternoon off from work so we could all go down to the beach (and try out our awesome new beach umbrella, thank you World Market!). It was payday, and I make a habit of not cooking dinner on payday (Shhhh! Don't tell Dave!). So after we were done throwing sand in the air and rinsing the algae off our legs from splashing in the surf, it was time to get some dinner.

I wanted Panera Bread. Jon wanted Taco Bell. 

Compromise time!

He dropped me off and drove down the street. They are so amazingly quick at Panera Bread that I had several minutes to sit and sip on my delicious frozen lemonade.


Yes, it's just as good as it looks. Anyway, as I was sipping away the thought came unbidden -- What a wonderful, lovely afternoon. I am so happy.

And it was true. But given how hectic it is to take two very young children to the beach, deal with the sand, the gear, the sand...I might not have noticed how lovely the day was if I hadn't had five minutes to pause and relax.

That's what good vacations do.

2 comments:

  1. Awww I'm so happy that you're happy!
    Now where's my panera bread and frozen lemonade?!

    I really like the quote. I think that's why I work so hard on my garden and such because I l-o-v-e to sit on the deck which I fixed up with planters and pots and such, and read a book with a cup of tea and watch the clouds roll by or the sun light up the hill or even the moon come up. It is SO relaxing and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should have added that I think the quote has merit. It IS important to build a life you don't want to escape from. I just think that it is incorrect to assume that if someone wants a vacation, they must not like their life.

    ReplyDelete